Many skills are required to start a successful farm: passion, clear goals, production experience, financial and marketing know-how, and more.
The Farm Beginnings class is a 12-month training session that helps beginning farmers clarify their goals and strengths, establish a strong enterprise plan and start building their operation. The course uses a mix of farmer-led classroom sessions, on-farm tours, and an extensive farmer network.
Farm Beginnings is designed for new and prospective farmers who want to plan a profitable farm business. Students do not need to currently own land, but some farming or production experience is helpful to get the most out of the class.
In this class, participants will:
- Establish quality of life goals and clarify their values.
- Learn about whole farm planning, marketing and financing.
- Write a farm business proposal.
- Learn from some of the most innovative and skilled farmers operating in the Midwest.
- Learn alongside a classroom of your peers.
- Access an extensive network of farmers through the Farmer Network.
- See sustainable farming practices in action on active farms.