Since its founding in 1982, the Land Stewardship Project (LSP) has worked steadfastly for environmental and social justice in rural America. We began by educating rural and urban people on the ethics of farmland stewardship through cultural programs and by creating a farmer-to-farmer network to help farmers move to more sustainable farming methods. Later, in response to growing concentration of farmland ownership, we held corporations owning farmland accountable to good land stewardship practices. In response to urban sprawl, we initiated discussions on smart growth and farmland preservation options.
LSP has helped dozens of communities organize to stop factory farms and linked sustainable livestock producers to potential urban customers. LSP has backed federal policy promoting farming alternatives that are good for the land and good for farmers. We have introduced hundreds to Whole Farm Planning and Monitoring. LSP has led influential research on landscape level approaches to meeting water quality goals.
And we have helped Community Supported Agriculture farms get established throughout the region while promoting community based food systems that bring eaters and farmers together.
Long Range Plan: 2019-2024
The Land Stewardship Project recently outlined its five-year long range goals and how we will go about achieving them in Vision for the Future: 5 Year Plan 2019-2024.
Previous Long Range Plans
• Land Stewardship Project Five Year Plan: 2014-2019. Click here to download a pdf version of the plan.
• Land Stewardship Project Long Range Plan: 2007-2012. Click here to download a pdf version of the plan.
LSP's 25th Anniversary
In 2007 the Land Stewardship Project celebrated 25 years of keeping the land and people together. As part of that celebration, we have put together three special publications highlighting our history, our current work and our plans for the future:
• Land Stewardship Project: 25 Years of Keeping the Land & People Together. Our 25th Anniversary special report. Click here to download a pdf version of this publication.
• Land Stewardship Project 25 Years Strong: Keeping the Land & People Together is a two-page summary of our major accomplishments and plans for the future. Click here to download a pdf version of this publication.
• 25 YEARS OF KEEPING THE LAND & PEOPLE TOGETHER is a timeline featuring highlights from LSP's quarter-century of existence. Click here to download a pdf version of this two-page publication.