June 14, 2018, 6 pm-8 pm
- Hoffman Community Center, 127 Main Ave. West, Hoffman, MN 56339-8139
Google Map »
- Event Website »
- RSVP to Bryan Simon, 320-492-2526, firstname.lastname@example.org
A special “Bringing Livestock Back” workshop will be held Thursday, June 14, from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., at the Hoffman Community Center, 127 Main Ave. West. This event, which is free and open to the public, is sponsored by the Land Stewardship Project (LSP) and the Sustainable Farming Association of Minnesota. For more information and to reserve a spot, contact LSP’s Bryan Simon at 320-492-2526 or email@example.com.
This workshop will provide basic information on how integrating livestock and row-crop farming can help increase your farm’s profitability and resilience, bring a family member into your farm operation, increase your farm’s revenue without buying more land, and take your farm’s soil health and nutrient cycling to the next level. Local farmer success, science and economics all tell us that farms with livestock integrated into row-crop production make for a more successful farm business than row crops alone.
Topics to be covered include:
• The financial benefits/economic analysis of having livestock in an annual crop operation.
• The basics of soil health and soil building with livestock on annual cropland.
• Local farmers will share their strategies and successes in integrating livestock into a cropping rotation.
• Learn about resources and peer networks helping farmers start to reintegrate livestock onto cropland.
• Cover-cropping strategies for grazing and soil building.
• Next steps for livestock integration.