We are pleased to announce that the 2018-2019 Land Stewardship Project Farm Beginnings course will be held in Rochester, Minn. By participating in Farm Beginnings, you will have the opportunity to develop goals that reflect your values, while also connecting with and learning from some of the area’s most innovative and successful farmers and local entrepreneurs, as well as other beginning farmers. The classes run from the end of October 2018 to the middle of March 2019. Following the classes will be an on-farm education component, including workshops and field days.
Here is the 2018-2019 class schedule:
• Saturday, Oct. 27 — Creating your Holistic Goal I — Quality of Life
• Saturday, Nov. 10 — Creating your Holistic Goal II — Commitments, Resources and Soil Health
• Saturday, Dec. 1 — Beginning Farmer Panel and Intro to Personal Finances
• Saturday, Dec. 15 — Introduction to Holistic Financial Planning
• Saturday, Jan. 12 — Enterprise Investigation: Defining Your Market and Pricing
• Thursday, Jan. 31— Marketing and Branding with Buyers Panel
• Saturday, Feb. 16 — Record Keeping and Accounting
• Saturday, March 2 — Legal Issues, Business Structure and Resources for Beginning Farmers
• Saturday, March 16 — Final Presentations of Farm Proposals
The course includes:
• 9 sessions of seminar time, much of it with established farmers.
• 10+ on-farm education events including workshops, farm tours and field days on working farms, times and dates TBA.
• Course books, binders and other materials.
• Connection to a network of established sustainable farmers interested in helping you succeed.
• Course Fee: $1,500 (Flexible payment plan and partial scholarships available).
For more information and application materials, visit www.farmbeginnings.org or contact:
Karen Benson/Land Stewardship Project
P.O. Box 130
Lewiston, MN 55952