We are pleased to announce that the 2017-2018 Land Stewardship Project Farm Beginnings course will be held in Pine City, Minn. By participating in Farm Beginnings, you will have the opportunity to develop goals that reflect your values, while also connecting with and learning from some of the area’s most innovative and successful farmers and local entrepreneurs, as well as other beginning farmers. The classes run from the end of October 2017 through the end of March 2018. Following the classes will be an on-farm education component, including workshops and field days.
Here is the 2017-2018 class schedule (all sessions are on Saturdays, from 10 a.m. – 4 p.m., in Pine City, Minn.:
• October 21 — FB Session I: Holistic Goal—Quality of Life, Commitments
• November 4 — FB Session II: Holistic Goal—Resource Base, Land Health
• November 18 — FB Session III: Intro to Business Planning
• December 16 — FB Session IV: Enterprise Planning
• February 3 — FB Session V: Holistic Financial Planning
• February 17 — FB Session VI: Recordkeeping and Taxes
• March 3 — FB Session VII: Marketing
• March 17 — FB Session VIII: Realities from the Field, Strategic Business Plan Work
• March 31 — FB Session IX: Final Presentation
The course includes:
• 9 sessions of seminar time, much of it with established farmers.
• 10+ on-farm education events including workshops, farm tours and field days on working farms, times and dates TBA.
• Course books, binders and other materials.
• Connection to a network of established sustainable farmers interested in helping you succeed.
• Course Fee: $1,500 (Flexible payment plan and partial scholarships available).
For more information and application materials, visit www.farmbeginnings.org or contact:
Karen Benson/Land Stewardship Project
P.O. Box 130
Lewiston, MN 55952