COVID-19 & Farm Beginnings
Due to COVID-19, we are offering the 2020-2021 Farm Beginnings course online, beginning in November. There will be more, shorter sessions instead of nine full-day sessions (some or all of those sessions will be weekday evenings instead of primarily on Saturdays). Due to a reduction in in-class time, there will most likely be an increase in self-led work-time outside of sessions. Check our Farm Beginnings class description page for more information about the online format for this year's class.
This is last year's class schedule to give an idea of what will be covered in our online sessions. The class schedule will be updated with 2020-2021 dates when they are determined.
Here is the 2019-2020 class schedule:
• Saturday, Oct. 26 — Creating your Holistic Goal I — Quality of Life
• Saturday, Nov. 9 — Creating your Holistic Goal II — Commitments, Resources and Soil Health
• Saturday, Nov. 23 — Beginning Farmer Panel and Intro to Personal Finances
• Saturday, Dec. 14 — Introduction to Holistic Financial Planning
• Saturday, Jan. 11 — Enterprise Investigation: Defining Your Market and Pricing
• Thursday, Jan. 30— Marketing and Branding with Buyers Panel
• Saturday, Feb. 15 — Record Keeping
• Saturday, March 7 — Legal Issues, Business Structure and Resources for Beginning Farmers
• Saturday, March 21 — Final Presentations of Farm Proposals
The course includes:
• 9 sessions of seminar time, much of it with established farmers.
• 10+ on-farm education events including workshops, farm tours and field days on working farms, times and dates TBA.
• Course books, binders and other materials.
• Connection to a network of established sustainable farmers interested in helping you succeed.
• Course Fee: $1,500 (Flexible payment plan and partial scholarships available).
For more information and application materials, visit www.farmbeginnings.org or contact:
Karen Benson/Land Stewardship Project
P.O. Box 130
Lewiston, MN 55952