Have you been to your local precinct caucus? Maybe you always go, or you help lead your local caucus. Or maybe you have never been to caucuses before and don’t know what to expect.
Whether this is your first time or you’ve been going for years, we’re encouraging all Land Stewardship Project members to go to caucuses for the party of your choice on Tuesday, Feb. 6.
Why go to caucuses?
Caucuses are an important opportunity to engage in democracy locally, introduce resolutions, talk with neighbors and bring our values and vision into the political conversation in our state. This year, LSP is working alongside other grassroots people’s organizations in Our Minnesota Future. Having a strong presence at caucuses is a key way we will move forward LSP’s vision for rural Minnesota, family farms and the land.
What do you need to do?
Here is what we’re asking LSP members to do:
1. On Tuesday, Feb. 6, go to the precinct caucus for the party you identify with most. Caucuses start at 7 p.m. You can find the Minnesota Secretary of State’s information about caucuses here, including the location for your local caucuses.
2. Introduce resolutions that advance LSP’s values. See the sidebar for “A Vision for Rural Minnesota” outlining LSP’s values and vision, and for specific resolutions we suggest.
3. Try to become a delegate to the next level of decision-making for your party. This will involve going to a convention in the coming weeks with people from across your county or legislative district. Being part of the the next level allows you to continue shaping the priorities of your party and elevating LSP’s values.
(In general, you need to go to precinct caucuses to be able to attend the conventions that follow. If you CAN’T go to your precinct caucus, there may be a way to let your party know that you want to be a delegate to the next convention. Please contact LSP’s Jonathan Maurer-Jones for information on this—see contact information in the sidebar.)
Details & Logistics—Caucusing to Help Elevate LSP’s Values & Vision
• If you plan to go to caucuses, please let us know HERE that you will be part of the effort.
• LSP will hold a conference call overview of caucusing. If you haven’t done this before or aren’t sure what to expect, join the call on Thursday, Feb. 1, 7 p.m.-8 p.m.
Dial this number: 1-866-299-7945
Access code: 4521241#
• Check out the “Caucus and Convention Guide” prepared by Our Minnesota Future for more information on caucuses.