In spite of the uneven playing field that often leaves beginning farmers few opportunities to access land to farm, there are some innovative ways that beginning farmers are accessing land. Check out a few of these examples:
- Farm Transition Profile: The Making of a Successful Farm Owner
- Farm Transition Profile: From Crisis to Community
- Farm Transition Profile: A Transition Power Team
- Farm Transition Profile: Removing the Spectre of Speculation
- Big River Farms
- Midwest Farmers of Color Collective
Are you just beginning your journey to land access? Here is a helpful toolkit to guide your journey: Farmland Access Financial Decision-Making Tool.
If you are pursuing financial management education (LSP’s Farm Beginnings and Journeyperson Courses are approved!) consider getting a tax credit through the Minnesota Beginning Farmer Tax Credit. Additionally, if you are planning to rent or buy land from an unrelated landowner, consider whether the Minnesota Beginning Farmer Tax Credit would be applicable to your situation. Details are here.
Recognizing the incredible barriers in the way of beginning farmers accessing land, here are some alternative pathways to accessing land:
Are you ready to find the land for your farm? Post an advertisement in LSP’s Seeking Farmers-Seeking Land Clearinghouse.