An LSP panel of professionals provides farmers advice on dealing with financial stress.
Resources Cited in this Podcast
• Minnesota Farm Advocates: Farm Advocates, which are located throughout the state, provide one-on-one assistance for Minnesota farmers who face crisis caused by either natural disaster or financial problems. To find an advocate near you, click here. The advocate hotline is 1-800-967-2474.
• Farmers’ Legal Action Group (FLAG): FLAG is a nonprofit law center dedicated to providing legal services and support to family farmers and their communities in order to help keep family farmers on the land. FLAG provides basic advice as well as numerous printed and online resources. More information is available here or by calling 651-223-5400.
• Minnesota Farm Business Management Program: This program, which is offered through the Minnesota State Colleges and Universities system, offers individualized farm management assistance and access to educational opportunities throughout the year. Farm Business Management instructors work with farmers to improve record keeping and provide in-depth financial and profitability analysis of agricultural operations. For a list of instructors throughout the state and other details, click here.
• The Minnesota Farmer-Lender Mediation Program: Contact the program via the web or at 218-935-5785.
• Minnesota Farm & Rural Helpline: Free, confidential, 24/7. This call center is located in Minnesota. Calls are answered by trained staff and volunteers. If you or someone you know is struggling with stress, anxiety, depression, or suicidal thoughts—call. Sometimes it’s easier to talk to somebody you don’t know. The telephone number is 1-833-600-2670 (extension no. 1).
• University of Minnesota “Dealing with Stress” website: This website contains fact sheets and tips on dealing with stress, as well as links to other resources. Click here for details.
• Land Stewardship Project’s Farm Beginnings Program: LSP’s Farm Beginnings, Farm Dreams and Journeyperson courses provide various levels of training in the areas of business planning, goal setting and marketing, among others. For details, check the website or call 507-523-3366.