With a historic $17.6 billion surplus, our Minnesota Legislature has a unique opportunity and responsibility to deliver for people and the land.
In March, the Speaker of the Minnesota House and the Majority Leader of the Minnesota Senate will assign each legislative committee in their respective legislative body an amount to spend on their budget. These are called “budget targets.”
Budget targets shape how much we can win for people and the land this legislative session.
If the Agriculture and Environment Committees receive low budget targets, we won’t be able to sufficiently invest in small and mid-sized farmers, our farm and food system, and the land.
Will you take just two minutes to sign our petition calling on legislative leadership to aim high for farmers and our future?
We have tremendous opportunities this legislative session to:
- Provide the resources farmers need to build the health of their soil, which will clean our water, bolster resiliency in the face of extreme weather, and combat climate change.
- Develop resilient local and regional food systems that strengthen rural economies and ensure all Minnesotans have nutritious food.
- Build a fair farm economy that cares for small and mid-sized farmers, farm and food system workers, and consumers.
- Expand access to land, capital, trainings, technical assistance, and support for small and mid-sized emerging, beginning, and aspiring farmers.
- Strengthen transparency and public engagement in public institutions.
- And more!
Yet, the state currently spends less than .05% of its budget on agriculture. (Despite the sector accounting for about a third of our state’s economy.) So please add your name to the petition today to demonstrate to legislative leaders the demand for robust investments in farmers and our future!