During this session of the Minnesota Legislature, thousands of Land Stewardship Project members from across the state are fighting for a budget and policies that reflect our vision and values. This includes: making sure our state is stewarding a mosaic of prosperous small and mid-sized farms across the countryside; creating vibrant local economies free of corporate exploitation; stewarding healthy soil, water, and land; supporting a robust democracy; and ensuring justice for all people across geography, class, race, and gender.
This week, joint Minnesota House and Senate "Conference Committees" will begin to meet to finalize budget and policy bills — everything we've organized for this legislative session is on the line!
These legislators are finalizing budget and policy bills that impact all of us — whether or not you are a constituent, they need to hear from you.
- Extend farmer-lender mediation deadlines.
- Pass a statewide goal of 30% soil-healthy farming by 2030.
- Establish a soil health cost share program.
- Appropriate over $11.3 million for implementation of soil-healthy practices.
- Protect small and mid-sized farmers from the economic and environmental impacts of factory farms.
- Increase funding for the farm-to-school program.
- Adequately fund programs like the Good Food Access Program and Sustainable Ag Demonstration Grants.
- Invest in beginning and emerging farmers.
- Protect the pollinators our farmers rely on.
Finally, join us to take further action at the Virtual 100% Soil-Healthy Farming Petition Delivery to the Governor's Administration next Tuesday, May 4, from 12 p.m. to 12:45 p.m.