Many skills are required to start a successful farm: passion, clear goals, production experience, financial and marketing know-how, and more.
The Farm Beginnings class is a 12-month training session that helps beginning farmers clarify their goals and strengths, establish a strong enterprise plan and start building their operation. The course uses a mix of farmer-led classroom sessions, on-farm tours, and an extensive farmer network.
Farm Beginnings is designed for new and prospective farmers who want to plan a profitable farm business. Students do not need to currently own land, but some farming or production experience is helpful to get the most out of the class.
In this class, participants will:
- Establish quality of life goals and clarify their values.
- Learn about whole farm planning, marketing and financing.
- Write a farm business proposal.
- Learn from some of the most innovative and skilled farmers operating in the Midwest.
- Learn alongside a classroom of your peers.
- Access an extensive network of farmers through the Farmer Network.
- See sustainable farming practices in action on active farms.
Due to COVID-19, we are currently working on our plan for the Farm Beginnings class that will run from Fall 2020-Spring 2021. We will be offering a class but are not sure yet how much will online or in person in Red Wing, MN. We will update this page as soon as those decisions have been made. If you'd like to receive an email with that information, please email email@example.com.